Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Gay in Florida

My love in on the ballot, up for vote,
though laws against us long-existing stand,
"Defending marriage" as if I promote
destroying it with simple wedding bands.

No “substantial equivalents thereof”
means benefits for all will disappear
for anyone unmarried and in love;
They’ll find their rights are not protected here.

Hospital visitation could be gone,
and health care for partners both gay and straight.
And all they'll say when asked why they said yes
is that God's word can justify their hate.

Election day, the best thing you can do
Is vote for “no” on Proposition Two.


Submitted by Shaker Spiffy


About the work: "For English, I had to write a love sonnet, and I ended up writing about Amendment 2 in Florida. I thought it might amuse the people of Shakesquill, so I'm submitting it! Forgive the poor writing - it's a homework assignment, and therefore -3 quality points automatically, but hopefully still entertaining. "

blog comments powered by Disqus