Monday, September 15, 2008

Monday Mind Opener

Ah, Mondays. Here's a little bit about my Monday:

I awoke early after spending the weekend with my in-laws. It's a one-hour flight from where I reside. I learned that having a cab driver blast through the streets of Belo Horizonte trumps several cups of coffee when you get up at 4 a.m.

It was a peculiar morning. After the flight touched down, my wife and I saw a tall man getting off the plane, as well. "Is that Oscar," I asked my wife. We were pretty sure it was. "Oscar" is Oscar Schmidt, the greatest basketball player Brazil has ever produced. Our town would fit well in Indiana, as in a soccer-crazed nation, basketball is a big draw around these parts and some of the top Brazilian players lace it up for our home team. Oscar was one of the first Brazilians I ever heard of after Pele and Carmen Miranda (who was born in Portugal, BTW).

Dropping my wife off at work, we saw the remnants of a motorcycle accident, with the rider still on the road alongside a woman on the road, as well. It turned out the woman was a co-worker of my wife's, and she suffered a severely fractured leg. I felt awful hearing that it was her. She had always been very nice to me and interested in the fact that I'm from the U.S. When I first met her, she was shocked at how white I was. I'm not sure what she expected. But she's just the kindest woman. I wish her well in her recovery.

And so the week starts. It should be an interesting one.
_____________

And now it's your turn, my friends. Tell me about Monday. It could be the Monday you are having today, or it could be your most memorable Monday. Or a poem about Mondays. Or whatever you like. Let's open our minds about Mondays.

blog comments powered by Disqus