Thursday, July 31, 2008

Word of the Day

Synchronicity

synchronicity
Pronunciation: (sĭng'krə-nĭs'ĭ-tē, sĭn'-)
Function: noun

1. The state or fact of being synchronous or simultaneous; synchronism.
2. Coincidence of events that seem to be meaningfully related, conceived in Jungian theory as an explanatory principle on the same order as causality.

Okay, true story: Several years ago I was out with a guy I was dating at the time. For some reason, we began to have a discussion about the word "synchronicity." About an hour later, we heard the song "Synchronicity" by the Police being played. So, I guess you could call that a synchronicity synchronicity… But, seriously, this has always been one of my favorite words, perhaps because I experience this Jungian principle so damn often. I'm sure everyone has experienced it, too: maybe during one week you hear a word you've never heard a number of times. Or, you find that several people have recommended the same book to you. Here's a rule of thumb I've come up with: once you've had a three-time synchronicity, it's time to pay attention. But then, I don't happen to believe in coincidence…

Thanks to Constant Comment for today's WOTD entry

blog comments powered by Disqus